Monday, August 11, 2008

I'm so glad I'm a part of the FAMILY OF GOD...........................................




Tammy and Dave Wood visiting us. They came to Haiti with a group from High Hill, Missouri the week before we found Lonia. Returning from our trip I immediately emailed them letting them know of the circumstances of Lonia. I asked for their prayers and HELP for this little one who would die soon without it. Amazingly, in a few days time I got a phone call from Dave. They had found someone who could make bringing her to the States for surgery a reality.

Tammy works at a dentist office. She was sharing this with a patient, Joe Tebo, who happened to be a pilot. She thought he might have some insight on where to start. God had put the right people in the right place at the right time. This would continue to be the case as the whole story of Lonia has been carefully orchestrated by her creator. It is a privilege to be a part of all of this. Thank you all for being part of it, praying for it and being so genuinely concerned. It has been amazing, to one by one, meet those who would make it all possible.

I can think of no higher calling than to serve the King of Kings. My prayer is to continue to put God first and not worry about all the unknowns, such as, when will we finish all of these surgeries, when will we come back to Iowa, when will my baby be born, when will my husband get to come, when will we return to Haiti, just to mention a few. He already knows the answer to all of those questions and is completely able to get me through each one. A great lesson from Haiti, EVERYTHING TAKES LONGER THAN IT TAKES, and you can not make it go faster. The sooner you accept that fact the greater chance you have of remaining sane. Then you have to just "let go and let God" because it is way beyond anything you can do or even dream of.

Another lesson is that laughter truly is the best medicine and healing to the bones. Praise God for technology with which Wilckly and I can talk fairly cheaply every evening. A great way to encourage one another and share a few laughs to keep us focused on the tasks at hand.
Kelsey, Dee, Denne, Lonia, Chris and Chris's daughter Georgia. They came all the way from Palmyra, Missouri, near Hannibal. They have come to Haiti the last two years with a group of girls from Hannibal LaGrange College. This group of girls were with us when Lonia was presented to us for the first time. We had made our long and first overwhelming trip to a place in the mountains called Cupois, pronounced Koo-pwa. I brought Lonia out for them to see, bottoms up. It was rather unexpected to say the least since none of us had ever seen anything like it. I said, "Denne, I need you to get some pictures of this because we need to get help for this little girl." I can't even explain to you, how much this is a total "God thing"!!! It still amazes me to review it all and to see how we just tried to hang on for the ride and God did the rest! I sincerely hope you get to meet Lonia. Her stamina and endurance are testimony alone and an inspiration to continue doing whatever is necessary, day by day, to get her where she needs to be.

Okay so I am a slacker. I am sorry for not keeping you better informed. The time has been flying by since we came to Iowa. We have lots of visitors who have been a great encouragement to us. They brought laughter with them to share with us and help us keep going. They also brought things like diapers, wipes, clothes, blankets, shoes and anything we might need for Lonia. Thank you all so much for this outpouring, we are definitely blessed.
Yes, it is amazing but Lonia is already driving!!! Everyone is immediately surprised at how tiny she is. They say she looks much bigger and older in her pictures. She is very strong and very strong willed. She can also, just as quickly bring a smile to any one's face with her flirtatious smile and batting eyes. She also blows kisses that melt every one's heart. She eats everything in sight all day long. She seems to be gaining weight which is what we want. It is evident by the newly found rolls on her little scrawny legs. August 29th, surgery, Sacramento.....Here we come!


I am improving at changing colostomy bags to the point she is sometimes satisfied while I do it instead of screaming the whole time. Kelsey and my nephew, Micah, get very concerned that I am hurting her when she is screaming like that. They always want to help her escape from me at that point.

I'll save you Lonia. That's debatable. Who is helping who here? Lonia has a way of winning everyone's affection. This is true for our dear friends Charlie and Teresa Bowen of Maryville, Missouri as well. I can't tell you or them how much I appreciate them. They have come and taken Lonia for a few hours and even kept her over night. Sometimes I like to pretend I am super woman but even she needs a rest. It has only been two and a half years since they first came to Haiti and were hooked. We have a saying in Haiti, "Haiti, love it or leave it!"


Thanks to all. Keep praying.
Dee

1 comment:

Sara said...

it truly is awesome being a part of God's family!!! it has been so neat keeping up with lonia's story!! all your work and sacrifice is making a HUGE difference in the kingdom--even if you don't realize it or feel discouraged at times!!!... we are praying and thankful for your devotion and faithfulness to showing God's love and grace to everyone--no matter their age, size, problems, or difficulties!!!... you are amazing--God bless you and your family!!!!